Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Conundrum

80 people got laid off from my place of employment, the director of programming among them, which is a good thing, and, along with him several of the worst shows were canceled, which is also good. However, people I knew and liked were a part of making those programs and they had nothing to do with how horrible they were (those people still have jobs for the most part)...so, is it good that these shows are gone even though it means the loss of jobs of people I care about? If they kept their jobs, poor programming would continue (through no fault of their own, largely), but now they are unemployed. And, is it better that they are no longer a part of creating sub-par products or would they rather have the paycheck? Meanwhile, I will continue to see the product until something new comes along, so nothing for me changes, just the scenery when I look out from the glass walls of my little box. I don't know if anyone is on the other end, but I'm still putting it out there. Because I'm getting paid and I need the insurance.

--------------------------------------------
"Catholic Sex Confession" by Citizen Fish from Thirst. Keeping with today's theme is a song from a band that likes to question the status quo. Formed from members of Subhumans, Citizen Fish is a lot like that band, but with a beat you can dance to. This has always been my favorite song of theirs, not only because it touches on a lot of issues I question myself (namely the strict religion/human living their life situation) but is also a beautifully designed piece of music. There is no chorus, nor verse really. It is just a story, that kind of rhymes and just constantly builds until the climax of the tale. It's about a nun that apparently has a hard day and winds up having sex with someone and then she goes to the priest to confess. "Did you use contraception/You didn't? that's good/The pope doesn't use it/No reason you should"...that pretty much some it up, but they go further...with the nun ultimately confronting the priest (before, in the booth, he was anonymous and his prescription was "Hail Mary times 10/Don't do it again") with "This body is mine, not a baby machine/In the eyes of the church I am trash" Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people won't like this one, but I think it's brilliant...and I don't always agree with them entirely, but its hard to deny the craft that went in to this "punk" song.

(hmmm, youtube has failed me on this one...sorry...if you know me and are interested in hearing this track, let me know and I'll get you a copy...all I could find was a sample on Amazon..click the pic)

No comments:

Post a Comment